Transitioning from renting to owning means you no longer have a built-in fix for maintenance issues. While friends and family may be willing to help you out at move-in, it’s time to get acquainted with your inner Mr. Fix-It. With these essential tools in your toolbox, you’ll feel like a pro in no time.
1. Measuring tape: Essential for furniture placement, DIY projects and your general sanity, a measuring tape is a must-have tool!
2. Ladder: Whether you’re looking to paint your ceiling or just dust off those lofty kitchen cabinets, you’ll need a ladder handy. Just remember to buy a size that suits the scale of your home and have a spotter nearby when working.
3. Level: Unless you have 20:20 vision and an unshakable hand, you’ll require a level to hang your favorite paintings and photos. If you’re looking for something accessible on the go, there are also great mobile app options for download.
4. Hammer: The trusty tool you’ll want to hang off of that new tool belt, hammers come in all shapes and sizes. For ultimate comfort, buy one with a cushioned grip.
5. Screwdriver: It’s time to learn the difference between a Philips head and a flathead. Or, better yet, buy an interchangeable model for your new toolbox.
6. Stud finder: Yet another helpful tool when it comes to hanging your beloved art, this is a must-have makes sure your favorite pieces stay on the wall for the long haul.
7. Utility knife: From slashing those pesky moving boxes to trimming carpet, you’ll be shocked at how often you use this tiny tool.
8. Pliers: Perfect for gripping nails in tight spaces or cutting wires for that new light fixture, pliers will make difficult jobs a lot easier.
9. Flashlight: Unfortunately, repairs don’t always come at the most convenient times. Be prepared with an alternate light source should your power go out.
10. Entertainment: Home repairs don’t have to be dull, and every job is more fun with music and company! Crank your favorite songs on your radio or phone, invite over some friends and enjoy the process! This is your home – own it!