You’ve probably heard the adage ‘an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’ The saying rings true when it comes to optimizing your home maintenance for the season to come. With the air turning crisp, now is the perfect time to prepare your home for the coming cool seasons. Completing these few quick home care tasks over the weeks to come can help ensure your home remains comfortable no matter what the season brings.
Fall Home Care Tips:
1. Take summer yard equipment and recreational furniture inside to protect them against the elements.
2. Trim overgrown trees, bushes and shrubbery before they become a menace when laden with ice or snow.
3. Using a safety ladder, and a spotter if necessary, clear your gutters and downspouts of leaves and limbs. Accumulating debris may prevent water from draining and make your gutters susceptible to ice damming.
4. Remove all items from the garage that cannot tolerate freezing temperatures. Liquids, such as garden sprays, or cleaners in plastic bottles can freeze and containers may crack or explode.
5. Insulate pipes if the home’s main water supply is located in the garage. Use a water heater blanket or insulation wrap if your water heater is also located out in the garage.
A major benefit of living in a new home is avoiding the potentially costly maintenance measures required for repairing and maintaining older, existing homes. Following these tips can help further extend the life of your new home’s equipment and exterior. You can download a comprehensive list of new home maintenance tips here. If you are a Beazer homeowner, and have an issue arise, please contact our warranty center.