It’s the season of green! With new grass, plants and trees sprouting their new leaves, people are removing winter’s remnants and busy tending to their yards. A beautiful yard is a badge of honor to most new homeowners, but achieving lasting results does take some work. Here are some homeowner tips to help you achieve a lush, green yard:
Watering Your Lawn:
When the rainy season just isn’t rainy enough, supplemental watering is required to maintain a healthy lawn. Most types of grass need around 1 inch of water per week to keep it alive, healthy and growing. Also, the best time to water your lawn is in the morning so that it has the rest of the day to absorb the water. Keeping your yard watered consistently will not only keep it healthy, but it can also help to keep it disease and pest free. It’s also important to use a good fertilizer in conjunction with your watering routine.
Add New Landscaping:
Adding additional landscape elements to your yard is a great way to accent your new home with some color. These colorful additions can also emphasize the exterior design features you’ve selected for your home. Decide what works best to meet your aesthetic goals as well as the growing requirements of the plants you like. Making sure that your plants receive the right amount of sun and water is important to their health. Containers with plants and flowers or a wildflower garden are creative and easy ways to add visual interest to your yard.
When planting trees make sure you remember that your little seedling may grow into a mighty oak one day. Providing trees and their root systems with room to grow will give you taller, hardier trees long-term. Any landscape designs should provide adequate space away from your foundation to avoid any problems down the road as well as allow your plants ample space to reach full maturity.
These tips will help you achieve a beautiful yard for years to come. Make sure to join the conversation with Beazer Homes on Facebook, Twitter and Google + for more landscaping tips to keep you new yard looking great this season. Happy planting!
On May 30th, The Home Builders Association of Delaware honored the area’s finest home builders at the 22nd annual Regal Awards. Guests, sporting their finest beach cocktail attire, were treated to ocean views atop the Henlopen Hotel in Rehoboth Beach. Award categories included design, sales, marketing, production, and technology for projects completed in 2013.
Beazer Homes’ Bishops Landing marketing team, led by Regional Marketing Manager Cindy Plackmeyer, had a fantastic showing receiving awards for best image campaign and best logo. The Bishop’s Landing signature logo adorns billboards and signs throughout Sussex County. It adorns not only the shuttle to and from the beach, but can also be seen at the beach on hats and sunscreen bottles.
Congratulations to Cindy Plackmeyer and the entire Bishop’s Landing team for your success at this year’s Regal Awards! Peruse our website to learn more about the available new homes in Delaware Beaches.
Buying your first home is an exciting step, but it’s also one that requires careful consideration and planning. We understand that it’s important to get the answers to your questions so you can make an informed decision and end up with a house that will serve your needs best for years to come.
Beazer Homes strives to facilitate the home buying process, whether it’s your first home or your 5th, to make the transition as smooth as possible. See what our Nashville homeowner, M.J., had to say about her experiencing buying her first home with Beazer.
What does a red front door mean?
- In early American tradition, a red front door signaled weary horse and buggy travelers that the home was an open place to rest.
- In Scotland, a red front door signifies that the homeowners have paid off their mortgage.
- According to Feng Shui standards a red front door is said to exude a welcoming energy
In addition to these culturally based standards, red doors also convey the positive color psychology of passion, vitality, and excitement. With these positive thoughts in mind, we’re kicking off our National Red Door Sales Event Sunday, June 1st and offering unique savings opportunities for new home buyers until June 15th, 2014. If you’re in the market for a new home now is the ideal time to buy from Beazer Homes. Visit our “Find Homes & Communities” page for complete savings and incentive details for the communities closest to you.
These limited time offers are an added value to the Beazer difference: energy efficiency, design options and personalization, and mortgage choices that are standard with every home we build. We’re painting the front door red here at Beazer to welcome all those interested in a new home, whether you’re a first time buyer or an active adult looking to downsize.
After many months of careful design and testing, Beazer Homes is excited to launch a brand new website. We hope you’ll find the new design and sleek interface a helpful tool in finding your new dream home! Below is a list of features that you’ll find helpful in your new home search. We welcome your feedback. Please use the website feedback link in the footer of the page to let us know what you think.
- Locate new homes and communities in your area
- See estimated monthly utility costs for your new, energy efficient home
- Community information and features at-a-glance
- Enhanced picture gallery of homes
- View detailed floor plans
- Preferred lenders (Mortgage Choices) by community
- Included features of inventory homes
- Learn more about Choice Plans and design personalization at no additional cost
Thank you to all of the Beazer homeowners who entered our Green Saver Rewards Giveaway. We’re happy to hear about homeowners enjoying their ENERGY STAR® certified Beazer Homes and the utility savings they provide. Stay tuned to the Beazer blog for more energy saving tips to keep your home comfortable and save on energy expenses this spring and summer.
These lucky homeowners will enjoy having their submitted utility bills paid by Beazer. If you didn’t win this time, don’t fret, we’ll have more contest opportunities for you in the future. Wishing you all a cool, fun Memorial Day weekend!
Please click here to view the full contest rules and details.
• Louis Aguila, Orlando
• Tricia Andrew, Indianapolis
• Patrick Andrews, Raleigh
• Christine Bolton, Indianapolis
• Judy Cannon, Maryland
• Bharat Chovatiya, Virginia/ DC
• Dana Servaes Cochran, Indianapolis
• Antonette Dimetro, Raleigh
• Lisa Gentile, Indianapolis
• Stanley Hagenhoff, Virginia/ DC
• Lucille Kenefick, Charleston
• Kelly Knight, Nashville
• Elizabeth Mavis, Tampa
• Mathew McKendree, Nashville
• Rebekah Noah, Charleston
• Karen Shepard, Las Vegas
• Jeffrey Smith, Virginia/ DC
• Tim Sullivan, Indianapolis
• Marc Suty, Dallas
• Marek Szapiel, Charleston
Spring has arrived and so has prime weather to get out and come see one of our brand new homes in the Maryland, Virginia and D.C. areas. Beazer is excited to host the grand opening celebrations of three distinct communities this month: Ellicott Mills Villas, Springs at Lenah, and Woodlake. Read on for event details. Be sure to stay tuned to the Beazer Homes’ Facebook and Google + for the most up-to-date community opening information. Hope to see you this month!
Woodlake in Silver Spring, MD: Saturday, May 17th at 11:00 AM.
Come take a tour of our brand new model, enjoy event-only prizes and incentives and see for yourself why this new townhome community is the perfect place to call home. Woodlake has easy access to the ICC, Route 29, 1-95 and is convenient to area shops and dining.
Springs at Lenah in Aldie, VA: Saturday, May 31st and Sunday June 1st.
You’re invited to come tour our brand new Manchester model home and learn more about the three other plans being offered in this community. Each of the single family homes planned for this community will feature spacious home sites from 1/3-1/2 of an acre along with a 2-3 car garage with the option for a 3rd or 4th car extension.
Gatherings at Ellicott Mills-Villas in Ellicott City, MD: Saturday, June 7th at 11:00 AM.
Join us for a tour of the brand new Willow model townhome featuring 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and a 2 car garage. Event attendees will also get to take advantage of sales incentives only available the weekend of the Grand Opening.
We received the following review on our Beazer Homes reviews page over the weekend and thought we would share. While it’s always nice to receive a compliment, we appreciate all the feedback our homeowners give us. Hearing what we’re doing right, along with what we may need to improve helps make us better all around.
Building a new home has many more advantages than buying a used one: personalization, quality control, maintenance, and energy efficiencies to mention a few. But one perk that homebuyers frequently don’t consider is home insurance savings.
The cost of home insurance can play a big role in calculating the total monthly payment for a home and the decision to build or buy. New homes typically qualify for lower premiums and more discounts. Considering that many lenders escrow home insurance as part of your mortgage, lower premiums can make your monthly payment more palatable.
Here are some ways new homes can help with home insurance costs:
Start at the top
A new roof greatly decreases the potential for major damage. Leaky roofs are the leading cause of home wind and water damages in the U.S., according to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety. The damage for a single incident can add up to more than $6,000.
New roofs typically are more resilient and impact resistant, and insurance providers consider them to be a much lower risk for filing wind and water claims. The reward: owners of new homes can get preferred policies that come with lower monthly premiums. How much lower? That depends on other factors such as location, proximity to a fire station, and other factors about the house.
If you want to save even more, look for roof materials such as metal or concrete tile with an Underwriters Lab impact resistant rating of class UL 3 or higher. Some carriers offer insurance credits for roofs with these materials.
The wiring counts
From 2007-2011, electrical malfunction caused 50,000 fires and about $1.5 million worth of damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association. To encourage homeowners to invest in new wiring, insurance carriers typically offer savings of up to 10%. New wiring presents an automatic benefit of new homes over resale homes.
Why new plumbing matters
New pipes that haven’t had a chance to get clogged are some of the most underrated advantages of a new home. Your home’s plumbing can either help or hurt you. Plumbing failures are the leading cause of home water losses, with the average claim costing $5,000, according to the Institute of Business and Home Safety. Newer homes have the benefit of updated plumbing, which can significantly reduce the potential for malfunction and earn preferred policies and lower premiums.
Heating and cooling matters
The HVAC system in your home can help determine how much you pay for your utilities and insurance premiums. Insurers must deal with nearly $5.8 billion in fire damage caused by heating equipment each year, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. A good heating and cooling system also eliminates moisture that can lead to mold and other problems. Houses with new systems can mean savings on utilities and insurance.
Safer from fire and intruders
New homes also can have built-in features such as sprinklers, smoke detectors, or security systems. All three features – even on resale homes – can help minimize the risks assumed by insurance carriers and therefore earn homeowners discounts. It stands to reason that having the most modern versions of all this equipment can help make fires or break-ins even less likely. That will reduce the chances of filing expensive claims and help keep premiums lower for years to come.
You probably have many reasons for wanting to build your own home. Now you can add insurance to the list of benefits. So go ahead and trade in your older home for that newer, more cost effective, energy efficient, more personalized build you’ve always dreamed of. Your insurance carrier will help you protect it.
About the Author: Katherine Wood is from St. Louis. She graduated from Davidson College with a bachelor’s in English. Katherine wrote an undergraduate thesis on the works of Shakespeare and attempts to bring the same romance to writing about all things related to homeowners insurance. She writes for the HomeownersInsurance.com blog.
Beazer homeowners help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by purchasing and living in ENERGY STAR certified, energy efficient new homes. We want to thank you for your help in protecting the environment by giving you the chance for Beazer to PAY YOUR UTILITY BILL. It’s very easy to enter:
- Email your gas and/or electric bill for the March 2014 billing period to email@example.com
- In the body of the email, include the name of the Beazer community you live in
- Include in the subject line — GREEN SAVER
All entries must be sent on or before 11:59pm May 12th, 2014 to be considered. Beazer will draw 20 random bills and pay their balance (up to $250 per bill). Please be advised that only current Beazer homeowners may enter and proof of home ownership will be required to collect your prize. Please review the official rules below for complete entry and selection details.
If you haven’t already, make sure to connect with us on Facebook and Twitter for energy saving tips and contest updates.
Green Saver Rewards Social Giveaway Official Rules
- Beazer Homes will draw from timely received entries 20 random bills and the corresponding entrants, upon eligibility verification, will have their submitted bill paid up to $250.
- Beazer Homes will notify the winners via email with formal instructions on how to claim their prize. Beazer homes will post a winners’ list/ announcement on their blog and social channels following email notification to all winners.
April 22nd-May 12th: Beazer homeowner may enter the contest by emailing March gas and/or electric bill for their Beazer home as well as the name of the Beazer community in which they live, to Internet_marketing@beazer.com.
May 12th-May 14th: Beazer will evaluate all applicants for eligibility and randomly select 20 winning bills to be paid by the Company. Green Saver Rewards winners will be notified by Beazer Homes via email.
May 22nd: A public announcement of the winners will be made on the b.com blog and Beazer social channels.
RULES AND ELIGIBILITY:
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. ONLY ONE ENTRY PER HOUSEHOLD.
- Entries must be received between April 22nd and May 12th. “Receipt” shall be deemed to have occurred when Beazer’s servers record receipt of the email.
- Odds of winning depend on the actual number of entries received.
- Entrants must have a valid email address at time of entry, be at least 18 years of age, and be current Beazer homeowners. Proof of ownership will be verified through the applicable publicly accessible governmental database.
- Submission must be completed via email as described in instructions.
- Submitted bill must be for a full monthly billing cycle and must include the majority of the days for March 2014.
- By participating in the Green Saver Rewards Social Giveaway, you hereby agree to Sponsor’s collection and usage, for marketing purposes, of the personal information you provide, including your submitted bill (with all personally identifying information removed).
- Entrants may not be employees of Beazer Homes or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or officers, or immediate family members or persons living in the same household as any of the persons identified above.
- Winners will receive their prizes in the form of a check from Beazer Homes to be issued no later than Friday, May 23rd.
- Only the prizes specified above will be awarded. All federal, state and local taxes, if any, are sole responsibility of winners.
- By participating in this Giveaway, entrants agree to release any and all claims against Beazer and all related parties from any and all liability whatsoever arising from participation in the Giveaway.
- All issues and questions concerning the Giveaway and the enforceability of these Rules and Eligibility, or the rights and obligations of entrants and Beazer in connection with this Giveaway, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of Georgia, without regard to its conflicts of laws principles.
- Beazer’s decision on eligibility and winners is final.
- Beazer Homes, 1000 Abernathy Road, Suite 260, Atlanta, Georgia 30328.