By Todd Roy
Green design in the housing market isn’t just a trend – its mainstream. Today’s homeowners are not only recognizing the inherent benefits of energy efficient options, but demanding products like energy efficient lighting design that meet these standards in the home.
The LED revolution
Once seen as an expensive and unattractive source, LED lighting has transformed into a viable lighting solution that provides long-term energy savings and aesthetically pleasing light output.
- Energy savings: LED sources incur lower energy costs.
- Aging-in-place value: LEDs are gentle on aging eyes, while a long fixture lifetime means less maintenance over the years.
- Improved color temperature: Advancements in color temperature and light output create a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Impact on Lighting Design
Homeowners, builders and manufacturers cannot ignore the benefits of LED technology. Manufacturers like Progress Lighting have evolved to meet these needs by introducing LED products that provide the following benefits:
- Add beneficial task lighting, such as Progress Lighting’s LED undercabinet series, ideal for kitchen workspaces.
- Provide a wide distribution of light. The LED Path Light features a highly efficient LED source for lighting walkways.
CFLs: The new normal
With changes in government regulations and improvements in lighting technology, CFLs are a popular, cost-effective and efficient option among homeowners.
Like LEDs, CFL sources reduce maintenance and use less energy than traditional sources.Impact on Lighting Design
The color consistency or spiral shape of CFLs may deter consumers; However, Progress Lighting designers have addressed these issues by:
- Offering CFLs with comparable color to traditional sources.
- Designing fixtures specifically for CFL sources. For example:
- The Haven mini-pendant features stonehenge glass to conceal its CFL source, while providing beneficial task lighting. Its rectilinear shape complements today’s streamlined home furnishings.
- The Savannah chandelier provides elegant details for traditional interiors and includes 13-watt CFLs disguised by antique alabaster glass.
About Todd Roy: Todd Roy serves as the Director of Builder Sales and Marketing for Progress Lighting. With more than 20 years of experience in the residential and commercial lighting industries, Roy’s knowledge of the homebuilding industry has helped Progress Lighting become the leading lighting company within the homebuilding market.